INGREDIENTS FOR DIY SAUERKRAUT
2 OR 3 ORGANIC CAP CABBAGES
COARSE SEA SALT
SPICES TO TASTE LIKE CUMIN IN SEEDS
BAY LEAVES AND JUNIPER BERRIES
1 GLASS CONTAINER WELL CLEANED (ALSO PERFECT IN CERAMIC OR WOOD)
1 WEIGHT TO PRESS CABBAGE
A LID OR AN INVERTED PLATE AND A GOOD SHARP KNIFE
Preparation of homemade sauerkraut
- First of all, you need to remove the outer leaves of the cabbage, if rotten or damaged, and cut the cabbage into four, to remove the central part, that is the core, because it is too hard and unsuitable for this culinary preparation, and to facilitate cutting striped.
- Then, it is necessary to cut into thin strips, with a good sharp knife, the parts of the cabbage that have been chosen, put them in the glass container and mix them well with coarse sea salt, in the quantity of 10 grams of salt per 250 gr of cabbage hood , and to spices of your own taste, for example cumin in seeds, bay leaves and juniper berries.
- At this point, it is necessary to wait about 1 hour for the cabbage to start releasing its liquid, which is essential for a correct fermentation of this beloved acidic side. In this regard, to squeeze the cabbage well out of their liquid, so that it completely covers the cabbage strips completely, it is advisable to use a weight, to press them, to be affixed above the lid, or the inverted plate, which is used. To cover the sauerkraut in the container that contains them. It is important to emphasize that the ideal time for sauerkraut to be ready in about six weeks moreover, in order to obtain the best organoleptic qualities, they must be kept in a cool and dark place, despite the summer heat or radiators facilitating fermentation. Finally, the presence of any mold on the surface is a natural situation that does not compromise the success and goodness of the sauerkraut. It is enough to eliminate it simply.
How to eat homemade sauerkraut
Given that sauerkraut, especially the raw ones, help digestion and are also friends of the intestine , thanks to the good quantity of lactic ferments and fibers they contain, they are suitable to accompany fatty foods, for which culinary preparations such as wurst and sauerkraut or breaded and fried meat with a side of sauerkraut salad represent the right balance between taste and health.
ACCOMPANY SAUERKRAUT TO FRANKFURTERS
For those who want to cook sauerkraut to accompany sausages or sausages, it is useful to follow some tricks like:
- Rinse the sauerkraut under cold water, drain and then fry for 4 or 5 minutes in a little vegetable oil or butter, together with the onion, chili and garlic, sprinkle with wine or soy sauce, beer or broth, mix well and continue cooking for another 15 minutes or until the cooking liquid evaporates.
- Continuing, the sauerkraut is put on the plate and, above or next to them, the prepared, boiled and/or grilled frankfurters are also placed, cut into rounds, or half lengthwise or left whole.
- As for the sauerkraut salad, the latter can be dressed raw with extra virgin olive oil, pepper, horseradish sauce and, for those who love more intense flavors, adding more salt and vinegar.