The cabinets are a classic dish of Piedmontese cuisine and a recipe to be rediscovered in times of crisis: the ‘ roll of cabbage it traditionally is prepared with meat leftovers from the day before and more generally with what’s in the fridge.
It is not uncommon to find capulets on Piedmontese tables after the holidays: after the abundance of Christmas and the Viglione, you recycle! Now let’s see how to prepare these splendid cabbage rolls with our tips:
INGREDIENTS FOR SAVOY ROLLS
- CABBAGE LEAVES TO TASTE
- 300 G OF MINCED OR ADVANCED BEEF
- 250 G OF HAM, COOKED HAM, SPECK, ETC. (WHAT YOU HAVE)
- 1 EGG
- 100 G OF CARROTS
- 30 G OF BREADCRUMBS
- 30 G OF PARMESAN CHEESE
- AROMATIC HERBS TO TASTE
- EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
- SALT AND PEPPER
PREPARATION OF CABBAGE ROLLS
- Take some fairly large cabbage leaves and not too hard and blanch them until they are tender (a few minutes).
- Eliminate the central part of the stem. Set aside and let it cool.
- Now make the filling: mince the sliced meat and the meat if necessary.
- Add the chopped herbs.
- Separately, beat the egg with salt and pepper and add it to the mixture of meat and herbs.
- Mix and add the carrots cut into julienne strips, the breadcrumbs, the Parmesan and a drizzle of oil.
- Work the dough well with your hands.
- Spread the leaves on a floor covered with parchment paper and dab them with a cloth, then take a little filling, roll it up like a meatball and place it in the center of the cabbage. Close as if it were a small package. If you need it, you can tie up the cabinets with some kitchen string.
- Put the cabinets in a baking dish and season them with a little oil, then bake them at 180 degrees for about an hour.